Tarka Dhal Collection fresh-rangeV
Tarka Dhal is a delicious, low cost and healthy main course with a bowl of rice or some flat bread. It also makes for a great side dish.
Note: You need some garlic, ginger and turmeric paste to add to this dish.
Recipe - Serves 4 as a main or up to 8 as a side dish
1. Thoroughly wash 350g of the yellow split peas
2. Pour them into a large saucepan with 2 pints of water and heat on the hob.
3. Finely chop the green chillis (keep the seeds and pith if you like it hot) and add to the pan with 2-3 teaspoons of garlic, ginger and turmeric paste and one of the star anise.
4. Add the tomatoes, chopped into quarters, and bring to the boil, cover and reduce to a low heat to simmer for 40 mins
5. In a separate pan, melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or butter if you prefer) over a gentle heat, add a clove of thinly sliced garlic, the cumin seeds and salt. After a couple of minutes, when the garlic starts to turn colour, pour the oil mixture into the lentils and stir in well (that's known as the tarka process).
6. Season to taste.